Wednesday, April 6, 2011

When I should be doing homework and projects...

I am actually spending copious amounts of time dreaming about and planning weekend trips for when we're in Europe (less than THREE WEEKS baby!). Here's a couple I've been spending some time on:

Paris, France (definitely happening, we'll be there during our first week in Europe!)




The Neuschwanstein Castle, in Bavaria, Germany. This castle was the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland!





 And Marseilles, France (southern coast of France). They have a deal on train tickets right now, and I am loving the idea of visiting this beautiful place:





I was really struggling to find affordable, but clean, housing in Paris and one of my buddies from high school turned me on to this AMAZING site: http://www.airbnb.com/. Now I am totally addicted. It is this great start up that allows people to rent out their own flats, studios, extra bedrooms etc. for affordable rates. So you get to meet locals, stay in a normal place that is clean and often much nicer than any hostel or hotel you could find for comparable prices (especially the place we're going to stay in Paris-- we would pay out the schnoz to stay there if it were a hotel, but the price is actually quite affordable. And it is located in a more local suburb of Paris, so although it's still central, we'll get to have a bit more authentic Parisian experience because of our stay there!). Anyway, I'll be able to tell you more in a month after we've actually experienced an "AirBnB" stay, but I am getting excited enough about it that I definitely can't bring myself to work on anything as mundane as homework....

Any recommendations of where to go? I'm all ears! :)

9 comments:

Cheri said...

Interlaken! (And Gimmelwald)

Stephanie said...

I'm SO excited for you!

Here are some recommendations I have for Paris:

Take a boat ride down the Seine river in the evening (you'll go under the kissing bridge which is romantic), and try to find one that pulls back into port under the Eiffel tower right around 10:00 p.m. Who knew that the Eiffel tower lights up and sparkles for 10 minutes starting at 10:00 p.m. Doug and I did this accidentally and loved getting to see the Eiffel tower above us and sparkling in the water below us from a boat!

Also, we thought it was worth paying to climb up the winding tower of the Notre Dame to check out the cool gargoyles on top. We felt like Quasimodo :)

And if you want to see the Mona Lise, make sure you get to the Louvre first thing (and there's a side entrance Doug and I took that avoided the line). We were the first ones to the Mona Lisa and probably had a whole five minutes to ourselves with her, which is actually pretty unheard of. If you go during busy times, you'll be lucky to get within 10 feet of her and you'll be trampled by sweaty bodies surrounding you. Really artistic.

Stephanie said...

These are my recommendations for Neuschwanstein:

First thing in the morning when you get there, take the bus up the mountain to the bridge that gives you the gorgeous view of the castle. You'll get the best lighting for pictures at that time of day. While we were up the mountain we also went on a hike up the Alps, and that was actually my favorite part of the whole experience. You get some incredible views of the castle, as well as the surrounding valley, the higher up you hike (and I'm sure Jordan will love that part too :).

Get a ticket that lets you enter both the big castle and the little parent's castle (I can't remember the name just now). We definitely thought it was worth seeing both.

Take a pic nic down by the lake for lunch.

If you have time, take a trip down to Salzburg in Northern Austria to see where the Sound of Music was Filmed.

Have a blast! I'm so excited for you!

Carly said...

Okay, stop making me jealous. :) I am so excited to hear all about it!

Alie said...

I loved going to Amsterdam. We took a city tour of it and learned about the culture. And you two should love all of the bike riding!! (Also, be sure to visit Anne Frank's museum there!)

The B&T Family said...

turn down a street that you don't know where it goes. Get lost and enjoy what you see.

Cheri said...

Oh...I was also going to suggest NOT spending the money to see the other castle (Hohenschwangau) next to Neuschwanstein. Unless you have lots of time and care to, it's nothing special.

kels said...

Great tips everyone, thanks! :) Seriously!

Jenelle said...

You can see the original Christus Statue in Copenhaggen. Nope- its NOT in the Vistiors' Center on Temple Square :)
Do hut-to-hut hiking in Norway if you will be up north.