Wednesday, September 9, 2009

All in a day's work-- for a mom!


Well, I have another school-inspired post for you. I just wish everyone in the world could take this class I'm in right now, it really is just mind-boggling. Part of our discussion today consisted of analyzing the work that is done by women, and the value that is assigned to it. By value I mean not only the perceived importance of it, but also its monetary place in our worldwide economy. I'll start by telling you a couple little diddys (spelling, anyone?) our professor shared with us:

1) If a woman decided to go work for another family and did all the housework and raising of the children, and then the mother of that family decided to go and clean and care for the household of the first lady, they would both be considered "productive" in the GDP. However if both those ladies decided to stay home and cook and clean and care for their own respective families, it's the same as if they had done nothing (economically, they produced nothing of value, made no income, etc.).

2) One of our classmates had a baby last week. Her OBGYN, who delivered the baby, was considered "productive" and assigned a value by our GDP. However the new mother, who carried the baby for 9 months, labored to deliver the baby for 26 hours, and brought a new little life into the world, did nothing!

Some pretty crazy thoughts, eh? Makes you consider how we value things in the world, even in America. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's necessary for something to have a monetary value stamped on it for it to actually have value, but unfortunately the world seems to look at it that way doesn't it? That leaves stay-at-home mothers and nurturers in a rough, defensive little spot. What do they do all day, anyway? (sarcasm ;)

Well here's a refreshing conclusion. Recent studies have concluded that the average cost of buying the services of a wife and mother, per year, would be about $109,000. WOW!!! That's some big dollars right there. So although "reproductive" work may not yet be considered "productive," by economic standards, you Mommas out there can sit back and know that your net worth is at least a pretty 6 figures. And that's without even talking about how valuable your work really is :). As for that, I think this just about sums it up:

"In 1935 the First Presidency stated, "The true spirit of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gives to woman the highest place of honor in human life.'"

and

“Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.”
(The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)


If you want more on that "mom salary," it's all at: http://mom.salary.com.

And for more fun/interesting reading, there's this: NYT "The Economic Unit Called Supermom"

Thanks Moms :).

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is such a fascinating post! I think about this a lot, like when people say they are "just a mom" or when I talk about quitting my job and "just staying home with my baby" etc. We shouldn't feel like we have to justify not doing anything else - in fact it is our divine heritage from God to do nothing else! Thanks for sharing.

Brittanie said...

This class sounds SO AWESOME!!!! I wish I had taken it! I love things like this. I might steal this info for a post of my own, if you don't mind...

Jenn Miyamoto said...

Kelsey! I just stumbled upon your blog. I'm so glad I found it! BTW great post...I think I'll go show it to Mark now! :)

Unknown said...

That's really interesting. In my women's history class, our prof. gave us some stat about stay-at-home mom's and their direct relation with economic growth and development. I just can't remember it...darn. Oh, and since you asked, and it's ditty. :)

Anonymous said...

that's so fun! it is harder than i expected to 'just stay home', but i always knew that's what i wanted to do for my family... and i didn't put much thought into doing all of that pregnancy work either. i figured that's just what you do. i guess the love moms have for their families makes them *delusional* enough to repeat the process several times :)