Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Feminism

Well, I'm taking a really fabulous course this fall entitled "The International Political Economy of Women." Definitely my kind of class. I've been twice now, and not only have I been deeply moved (nigh unto tears, though if you know me I suppose that's not such a big deal), but I have been truly impressed with the instruction as well as one of the texts for the class, "Women in Eternity, Women of Zion." If you have ever had any questions about the LDS perspective of the female role, the concept of "patriarchy," the confusing concept of polygamy, or anything related to women's role in the church (or had a daughter with questions, for that matter), I highly recommend this book! I read almost the entire thing in one day, not because it's short, but because it was so absolutely insightful and incredible. Fabulous explanations that are almost all backed by scripture etc. There were just a few insights that I thought I might disagree with, but on the whole I thought it was really incredibly relevant and and enlightened.

I've got to go work on my grundles of homework or I'd keep writing, but you can expect to hear more about this class, I'm sure!

Quote of the day:
Michelle Stott quoting Rebecca West: "I'm not sure what a feminist is, but I am called one every time I venture an opinion that distinguishes me from a doormat."

har har. and yet so true.

p.s. My professor gave a profound section of her first lecture on the varieties of feminism, and how although the LDS faith is certainly at complete odds with some of them (i.e. feminism to the extent that you must totally disconnect yourself from males and embrace only the virtues of femininity etc.), it is in perfect harmony and in fact one of the greatest supporters of true feminism, the kind that seeks after the equal treatment and respect of men and women. I certainly can agree with full confidence that this is the case :).

4 comments:

SMcG said...

Ha ha -- love the quote! Great entry. Is the class you're referring to the one with the awesome but really hard professor?

SMcG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kels said...

yep that's the one! the hard ones are almost always the best ones too-- funny how that works :).

Becky said...

I will have to read that book!