Monday, January 31, 2011

1am

It's becoming one of the most productive times for me! Lol I actually just called it a night with the hw a bit ago, and then decided to unwind a bit and surf the blogosphere. What a world we live in, eh? Apparently that's how I unwind now. Or watching trash like "The Bachelor." You can judge me, I won't blame you cuz I judge myself most of the time. Anyway I came across this gem:


linked on one of the blogs I love to read (http://mandymadson.blogspot.com/) which is not trash at all, but actually quite lovely. Hopefully that redeems me a little.

Anyway the post above is basically an article written by a non-LDS, late twenty-something, feminazi atheist who has an addiction to mormon housewife blogs. Too funny right? Anyway she talks about how even though she's a feminist (the kind that's probably a little further to the left than how I classify myself), she said she loves these blogs because they make her feel like a simpler, lovelier, more family-oriented life is possible. And that husband, family, kids etc doesn't have to be the end of the world, but can be actually be fun and full of love. SO glad to hear we're sending that message!

On a connected note which I will explain, Jord and I went to see "Life as We Know It" at the $1 theater for our date last Saturday night....


We thought it was pretty clever, fun, etc etc. I liked the overall message it had, though we thought it could've gone without a few of the raunchy jokes. Anyway I walked out of it though and asked Jordan "Why do films and the media always portray marriage as such a drag?" And we talked about it for awhile... but seriously, I'm still not sure why they do!? I mean, sure marriage isn't a walk in the park, but every "suburban family" in that film, including the gay married couple, was constantly ragging on their spouse and downing on marriage. Did everybody marry somebody they didn't like at all? I just don't get it. Anyway I feel like everybody just has a cow all the time about how hard marriage is and what a drag it is, and a lot of the time I want to say "get over yourself!" (disclaimer: there are some genuinely difficult problems that happen in marriage, ie: addiction, infidelity, etc. but those aside...) Seriously. Marry somebody you love, selflessly, and then get over yourself. If you're not so caught up in everything you're not getting by being single, you might actually have a laugh and (gasp!) a fun romp in the {insert hay or other love-makin' substitute here}. Lol. But honestly, Jord and I certainly have our squabbles (anyone who knows me knows I'm not afraid to pick a fight), but I'd say 90% of our time is spent laughing, hanging out, having awesome conversation, supporting each other, etc. etc. Marriage, the kind where you go into it knowing you're going to have to sacrifice and compromise and then be rewarded with amazing, fun, and wonderful companionship, is a blast. I don't know why more people don't do it.

Oh. Yea I do. It's because the media and hollywood love to hate on it and make it into a ball and chain of death and misery.

Their loss, I say.

Anyway if I'm coming on too strong, forgive me. It is 1am after all, and I am a sleep-deprived, somewhat insane graduate student with a cold. Maybe I'll go join my responsible old man of a husband (who hits the sack at a respectable 10pm) in bed. Peace.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Loved it. Here you might find this link interesting:
http://blog.cjanerun.com/2011/01/follow-me-here.html

It's from my favorite blog - responding to the article you posted.

Carly said...

Kels, I love the way you write. Such a breath of fresh air. :) And seriously!! Nobody has a perfect marriage but sheesh- I really don't understand all the hate. Marriage is pretty awesome.

Rebecca said...

I like your attitude - of course marriage is work but it's not an impossible chore! I think much of the problem is that people just have unrealistic expectations, so when they encounter their first argument they thing something is wrong with their relationship that can't be fixed.

kels said...

Rebecca I think you hit it on the nose. Sure it's work, but as long as you have realistic expectations you spend the majority (large majority) of your time happy and in great company :). And amen to Carlz as well, well said. Becky thanks for the link.