Monday, January 10, 2011

Quest Estate....

SOOOO... this summer we will be spending THREE whole months in this beautiful place:




I know what you're thinking... "Wow, Jordan is going to like that place..."




But don't worry, I'm going to love it too!!!


Drumroll...... it's Geneva, Switzerland! Yep. It's like the perfect blend of my dream and Jordan's-- I get to live in a beautiful European city, Jordan gets to live at the base of some of the most pristine climbing mountains in the world. How could it get any better than that?!

The reason we're so dang lucky and get to go to Geneva is because A) I got that rad scholarship to study Italian that paid boocoo (what is up with that phrase anyway? sp?) bucks, and let's be honest, there's no way Jord and I could have afforded it otherwise and B) I got an internship at the headquarters of the World Health Organization! The most exciting part is not just that I get to work there, but that I actually get to work there doing something that I think is important and interesting. I'll be doing research and writing a systematic review of social determinants relative to human trafficking and conflict-related violence against women. I'm writing up my "concept note" now (yea, I had to ask my committee what that one was... so many new kinds of papers to write...) which I will submit to my WHO supervisor to make it all legit and ready to go. So hopefully I can do a good job, huh?

While there Jordan will be busy studying for and taking the GRE so he can apply to physical therapy school next fall. He'll probably also start working on some of his applications, or at least figure where the heck we should try to go. Oh yea, and probably climb around in the Alps a bit :).

Some other places we want to visit while in Europe:

Paris, France


South of France


Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Cinque Terre, Italia


Roma, Italia


Firenze, Italia


Athens, Greece


Santorini, Greece


Not necessarily in that order, not necessarily those cities or only those cities... but those are the ones that came to mind from the countries Jord and I have been chatting about!

Come and visit! :) And... any other suggestions?

23 comments:

Cheri said...

So cool!

I LOVED Switzerland but an incredibly close second (and close geography-wise) is Southern Germany - Bavaria. Beautiful, pristine, and lots of awesome artwork comes out of there.

Jealous!

Katie said...

i want to visit you while you're there so bad. so purty! and yay traveling!

Also... barthelona! hehe.

Heidi said...

Congratulations! That is too awesome for words. You guys will have so much fun. I have fun suggestions for southern Germany/Austria if you get bored of France, Italy, Greece etc. :)

lindsay said...

JEALOUS!!!!! you should also visit Salzburg Austria and go on the sound of music tour :)

SMcG said...

Wow! It's like a dream! We're super excited for you.
xo

btw:

beaucoup |bōˈkoō; ˈboōˌkoō|

noun informal
an abundance; a large quantity.

adjective
many; much : you can spend beaucoup bucks on software.

adverb
in abundance.

ORIGIN early 20th cent.: from French, literally ‘fine stroke’ ; see beau and coup .
:)

Katie and Cam said...

WOWOWOWOW!! You guys totally deserve it! also, when you said boocoo money I laughed so hard. Its french, and it means "many" or "a lot" (beaucoup).

Karissa said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! You will do an amazing job!

Some of those pictures look too gorgeous to be real... take lots of pictures and really enjoy it for me too ok? =)

Doug Perry said...

OK, Call me jealous. I think this is such a fantastic opportunity for you guys. As much as we will surely miss you for Sunday dinners, we are super happy for you. What a terrific experience! If you need an Italian interpreter, I'm available...(but since you already speak as good as I do, that's probably not going to fly...but worth a shot.)

The Undomestic Goddess said...

How exciting!!! Jordan (mine not yours) and I are trying to plan a trip this summer to do Paris, Rome, and Slovenia. Which is my suggestion for you... Slovenia- beautiful, wonderful people, (cheap) everything, delicious food... Lublijiana is the capitol. ooo and Prague- GORGEOUS.. like straight up cinderella beuatiful. paris is a must- its my absolute favorite place. FUN! -Ashton

Brittany said...

Kelsey..first congrats!!! That is AWESOME!! A scholarship and internship..great work! Second..you lucky dogs!!! That will be such a neat experience...I'm jealous!!

Carly said...

Oh my goodness!!! I seriously could not be more jealous!!! That's amazing! Congrats! Take a billion pictures and blog constantly. :)

Alie said...

Oh jeez, Kelsey! I am so so jealous! I have been trying to get Tyler to go on a Europe trip with me but he says he'd rather see all of the US first. Maybe in time he will go abroad.

I backpacked Europe right before I met Tyler (May 2008) and I wrote a couple of blog posts about tips and places that I saw that I'd recommend. Here's the link to it: http://decembertwentieth.blogspot.com/search/label/Europe

You're going to have a blast! And congrats on the internship!

erika herman said...

That is awesome! I am so excited for you. You are going to have so much fun and get great work experience at the same time. Good deal. Congrats!

Jenelle said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow!!! SO excited for you guys!!!!!!! Way to go Kels- you totally deserve it!! What an awesome desert after these two tough semesters! Hope we can meet you guys in Paris!

gbrooks said...

Oh my goodness - so awesome! What a fun summer! I'm so jealous. Congrats to you for being so amazing! -Garin

Rebecca said...

um, jealous jealous, jealous. I think that is my only comment. Oh yeah, and congrats for the awesome scholarship and internship!!! I'm so excited for you guys!!

Brittanie said...

um, WAY, WAY jealous!!! Switzerland is UH-MAY-ZING!!!! And the people are incredibly nice. Swiss Francs are a little weird, but you'll get used to it fast. Have fun!!!

Emily Voigtlander said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am so super duper excited for you! And ... I got a bonus at my stupid job and maybe if Jordan and I buy tickets in advance enough (and save pennies in the meantime) we can visit you in Geneva instead of Provo! Not that Provo wouldn't be awesome! ;) Let's chat soon!

XOXO!
Em

Allie said...

Kels I am so excited for you! You must be big time getting that sweet internship and how fun to be in Europe. It's so fun to hear about the amazing things you're doing!

Katie said...

la la la it's so beautiful! :) i really hope i could come... but idk how. But I keep mentioning it as part of my plans for summer so therefore it has to happen... right?

Katie said...

la la la it's so beautiful! :) i really hope i could come... but idk how. But I keep mentioning it as part of my plans for summer so therefore it has to happen... right?

kels said...

Thanks for that tip Cheri-- we'll put it on our list!

Katie visit us!!

Heidi-- yes we'll def need to get in touch with you for Germany/Austria tips :)

Lindsay, a Sound of Music tour sounds amazing!

Haha and Mom and Katie thanks for clarifying boucoup or whatever it is. it's all coming together.

Thanks Karissa!

Doug, you're my amazing, experience practice buddy.

okay amazingly the comment list goes on, so i love the rest of you and thanks!! :)

kels said...

Okay one more response-- Em that is RAD about your raise, and you should TOTALLY come visit us in geneva, not provo (no comparison).

and katie, just keep sayin it and i'm sure it'll happen ;)